Saturday, December 9, 2023

In which I review The New Doctor Who


I just finished watching The Giggle and I have mixed feelings about the show. As far as the New Doctor goes I'm a "wait and see" kind of person, after all there have been plenty of replacements over the decades and usually they start off with the fans saying "I like the current Doctor, why do they have to replace them? I know I'm going to hate the new Doctor" and then they repeat it every time the show changes the face. Considering the new Doctor usually shows up at the end of an episode and hasn't been on any adventures yet I think that's stilly, at least watch them in action first.

And to give a little perspective, I liked Jodie Whittaker just fine but I felt the scripts were heavy handed on their "social messages", so I drifted away from the show, but I've enjoyed the last three episodes which were classic, just for fun storylines, although I have to wonder how many people realized that the Toymaker's description of humanity was about them? I mean I saw myself in that (this review being an example). 

But, and now for the complaint, I also feel that when a show establishes a set of rules for the characters they should stick to the rules. Sure, when they first came up with "regeneration" they said there would only be 13 Doctors and because they never planned for the series to run as long as it did the modern writers had to find a way around that so I forgive them for that, but the Two For One Doctors? I'm not a fan of a show suddenly declaring "well here's a thing that exists but we never talked about it until it was convenient to the plot and got us out of a writing jam". Plus there's the question about how will the stories go from here, will there be two different plots with each Doctor covering a different event in a solo episode? Will they be crossing paths on a regular basis? Will the Classic Doctor be in suspended animation until he's needed by the New Doctor? And who will end up saving Earth next Christmas? I think they are trying to appease everyone with "you get your classic Doctor Who and you get the new and improved Doctor Who" and when you try to please everyone you end up pleasing no one. But like I said, wait and see. 

So, I can't really say if I liked the outcome of The Giggle or not. I guess I'll have to check out a couple more episodes before I pass judgement. 


Oh, and Neil Patrick Harris was great as The Toymaker. Campy but not too far over the top. He knew the show he was on and the character he was playing, hokey and menacing at the same time. And let's be honest, the weeping doll was genuinely nightmare fuel, sleep well tonight Doctor Who fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment