Tuesday, December 5, 2023

 So I stepped in it and now I have to give a lengthy explanation of my position. Namely, Doctor Who and Sir Isaac Newton. 


Oh look, Doctor Who is back! The story isn't about the environment, or toxic masculinity or racism, instead it's about aliens and how the Doctor, plus Donna, have to use their intelligence to overcome them. Thank goodness....except.

There is a throw away joke in The Wild Blue Yonder, hardly important and if they had cut it from the show nobody would have noticed, instead it sparked a major argument in which everyone has to take a side, even people who don't watch the actual show. The TARDIS crashes into a tree, an apple tree, the very apple tree Sir Issac Newton just happens to be sitting under. Donna then makes a comment about "the gravity of the situation" and Newton is inspired to create his greatest scientific achievement, the theory of relativity. So what's the problem? Sir Issac Newton is played by a Black actor.

And why does this become a problem, the catalyst for a major argument? Because it's part of The Message. In modern entertainment The Message is "All White Guys Are Evil Or Weak". Where once your villains were strong and clever, Darth Vader or Goldfinger, now they are wimpy, often stumbling into their position of power or even using the power from others, that guy in Ghostbusters 2016 who was such an invisible character I don't even know his name and figured out all his evil stuff from Kristen Wigg's character's book, or the guy in Wonder Woman 1984 who spent most of his time crying about his disastrous life and was defeated with "gasp" the truth. 

Then we come to historical White guys who are depicted as slave owners, dictators or colonizers, because this is The Message. Sure, plenty of them did evil things, I'm looking at you Andrew Jackson and your whole Trail Of Tears, but even guys who were 99% good come under attack because it fits The Message, all White guys are evil.

And thus, Doctor Who and a silly throw away joke. Who is the joke about? Sir Issac Newton. He never owned slaves, he didn't commit mass genocide, he basically advanced scientific theories by leaps and bounds and was the father of modern mathematics. And this becomes a problem for The Message because how can they depict a decent real White guy from history? Oh, make him Black and make sure his greatest scientific creation was inspired by a comment from a woman. Whew, The Message has been saved.

Sigh, perhaps it's just me but I'm tired of The Message. I quit religion because every Sunday I'd go to church and they'd tell me I was evil and going to hell. It didn't matter if I didn't commit any evil acts and did exactly what they said, they were still going to tell me about my one way ticket to eternal damnation. So instead of going to church every Sunday I started sleeping in, and was a lot more happy about it. 

I really wanted to enjoy a return to classic Doctor Who, outrageous story lines, somewhat hokey aliens, saving the planet based on wit and common sense instead of military might. Instead I had to put up with The Message that the only way to depict a good White guy from history was to make him Black. I was instantly taken out of the story and once again forced into the modern PC world. No thanks, I'll stick with classic James Bond and you can say "OK Boomer" all you want, I don't care, I plan on crawling out of bed late on Sunday morning and not hating all historical White guys while I'm doing it. 


I doubt I walked my way out of the controversy because now people will be complaining that it's just fiction, I'm being to sensitive and so forth but these are the same people who wanted to cancel culture Jimmy Kimmel for doing a bit about Karl Malone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment