As The Station Turns 8/11
Hell Week Redux Day 4
I was almost late to work. I thought of something and had to post it on Threads, looked up and was supposed to be on my way. I still showed up on timeish. There was a mob of people but they cleared out quickly. I still had to deal with lingerers while doing my opening paperwork but it wasn’t as bad as usual.
The price of fuel went up 20 cents a gallon yesterday and dropped 10 cents a gallon today. It’s going to be a fun fall.
I had a couple of things to do but I had to wait for a guy who was sampling the slushies. He finally picked one and a crowd showed up, as if planned.
And just like yesterday every time I went outside people would show up, mostly just to check their phones and leave. Do you get more bars by a fuel pump?
The Late Guy came by to get a photo of a register screen. And he was an hour late getting off work from the Haunted Station. Gotta wonder what is going on with the Random Woman, I’m sure her days are numbered. Btw, the Late Guy wasn’t talking, he got his information and left. Fun times over there.
And here comes the rain. There was a clap of thunder and the lights flickered. I wouldn’t mind a power outage. It lasted all of ten minutes. A lot of wind, a lot of noise and nothing. It was like a political speech.
I was trying to do a little stocking when a pisser showed up. He took an extra long time in the restroom while his buddies waited. They were looking for beer. I’m always tempted to say we don’t encourage drinking and driving.
The Late Guy came by to take photos of the plumbing and do measurements. I hope I get a week off when they come to remodel. He brought Mrs Late Guy with him so they were chatting this time.
There is a mysterious tuna smell in the building. I wasn’t going to say anything but Mrs Late Guy noticed it too. I checked the tuna that’s for sale but none of them smell so I’m sure they’re not open. Perhaps it will go away on its own
I saw the Professional Mooch again. Well at first I smelled what he was smoking, a little “prescription tobacco”. He never came to the station and when he saw me he headed in the opposite direction. He can go be a nuisance somewhere else.
The Storyteller came by. He was telling me about all the states he visited as part of his job, including Montana. He’s hoping to hit the billion dollar Powerball. Since I’m working back to back doubles I won’t be able to buy a ticket until Friday. Perhaps someone will win it before then. On a side note, he paid me all in quarters tonight.
The place was so empty that I did some of the walk in cooler. Of course the Pissers showed up, every 5 minutes.
A truck driver with a fleet code showed up. It’s a whole process with filling out a fleet check and entering all the numbers into the card reader. I’m hoping the company can’t authorize the code until after my shift but I know I’m not that lucky. Update, it ran with no problems, I don’t know why I always expect the worst.
The Old Guitar Player came drifting through. He knows he’s not supposed to be here but he keeps pushing it. One day the Boss is going to catch him and then all hell will break loose. I hope I’m not here when it happens. When I left I saw him sitting by the big sign at the side of the property. Not my problem tonight.
A woman came in and I wondered how close she was sitting to the campfire because she reeked of smoke. Then the Crazy Lady came in and said something was burning nearby. I guess the smell had followed the woman inside. When I went home you can see the haze hanging around the street lights and there is a glow around the edge of the mountain to the north. Gotta wonder if Colorado is on fire again. And if it is will they shut down the road tomorrow. I guess I'll find out in the morning.
Since it was so slow I was able to update my blog as I went along. Usually I’m working off notes. Now I'm off to bed so I can work a double shift tomorrow.
Comments
Post a Comment