As The Station Turns 8/30
When I got up my phone was ringing, what now? It turns out it was the Late Guy, he didn't know where the ticket paper for the lottery machine was. When they moved me from the position of manager I did the right thing and gave him the full tour, here's this, this is the control for that, here's where I hid the cleaning supplies so the Part Time Woman can't steal them all and so forth. One of the things was "here's the keys and here's what they go to" which includes where the extra supplies for the lottery are stored. The thing that amazes me is it's been three months, you'd think they would have sold enough tickets to have gone through a couple of rolls by now. So I had to tell him where the stuff was stored and where the key should have been. I didn't get a call back so I guess he found it.
When I showed up to work it was total bedlam. A couple of old ladies couldn't get the lids on their cups and they were blocking my way so I couldn't get behind the counter. Mrs. Late Guy was trying to help them but then some guy came in and couldn't get his card to work so she went outside to try to help him. The time clock wouldn't recognize me but I finally logged in, the women got their lids on their cups, the guy had given up on the pump and paid inside and Bigfoot counted his drawer wrong.
Some guy was stuffing a plastic jug and a cardboard box into the small trash can out front, which means it was filled up with mostly air. I had to get it out before someone threw something wet on it. When I pulled out I made sure he saw me carry his trash around to the dumpster, the thing he could have done. I don't understand people who jam boxes into gas station trash cans when the dumpster is right there.
You can tell how bad things are going in America, some guy paid for his gas, $21 all in loose change. And he's not the only one, every day the drawer is packed with coins. People are having to dig deep for the basics and it's only going to get worse.
When the Late Guy finished his shift he dropped by for a soda, the same kind of soda they sell at the Haunted Station. He didn't know what days I was going to be covering in September, and I guess he got the lottery thing all sorted out. It's funny if I don't visit on Friday he comes by to check, it was a plumbing thing dude.
The first half of the day was so slow, I piddle-farted around and got a few minor things done. Then I figured I might as well give the restrooms a good once over. I was getting ready to dump the inside and outside trash when the first car showed up. Two hours later I got the trash dumped.
A local came in, he got a refill on his soda and gas. I was going to tell him he just missed his brother in law but I figured I had better not. He and his wife don't have the best of relationships, one day they had a giant fight in the middle of the station. I have to wonder if the rest of the family likes him or not.
The Boss came by and again, he didn't hang around. Something is going on and I hope it's not bad stuff.
Some kid came in and spent a long time in the restroom, this is usually a bad sign so as soon as he left I went to check. Imagine my surprise when nothing was wrong.
The Storyteller came in, he tossed his coins in the Take A Penny tray. I said they don't have them in Vegas because every penny is another pull on the slot machine. He then told me how he and his brother use to go to Cripple Creek every New Years Eve. He told me how his brother would always come back a winner, casinos love people who tell those kind of stories. I'm currently conducting an experiment where I keep track how how much I spend on scratch tickets versus how much I win. Right now I'm down $60 so I tend to wonder how much people have spent before "the big win".
I'm trying to get the last of the shift stuff done when a woman came in with a bad card. She tried it multiple time and finally had to punch in the number. She said she had been having problems with it for a while. Contact your bank and get a new card, it's that simple.
A truck driver came in and wanted to know if this was a reservation. Nope, just a regular town. He then wanted to know how far it was to the next nearest brand name truck stop, I don't think he was happy when I told him it was around 90 miles. When I left he was sitting out back. I hope he moves before the morning because he was blocking the dumpster and the trash guy takes his job seriously, and he has a short temper.
At the end of the night when I counted out my drawer I had $37 dollars in rolled coins. Seriously, we are in financial hard times.
The Graveyard Shift Guy pissed me off. He came in, logged in, counted in and then ran to the restroom. I had to keep my drawer open until he came back. He lives 10 minutes away, go before you leave your house or go before you log in. But don't get your drawer ready and then make me wait, I hate that. I didn't say anything but he knew. The time clock started acting up again but it finally allowed me to clock out, then I went home.
Comments
Post a Comment